Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Ocean Bottle Word Cards

Lately the children have really been enjoying making word cards (index cards with a vocab word on one side and a drawing to represent the word on the other). 

During our Under the Sea unit, we worked together one morning to create "ocean bottles." We filled empty plastic bottles with water, then added a few drops of blue food coloring, glycerin, and glitter. The glycerin helps to suspend and slow the glitter as it travels through the water. Then we added various ocean-related objects, like seashells and plastic fish.

The cool thing about these bottles is they're easily cross-curricular. We put them together as part of a science activity, and we incorporated math by measuring, tracking, and counting what we added (i.e., "We need 2 drops of blue food coloring. Maitha, will you add 2 drops?" and "Let's put in ten fish! Can you count out ten for me?" or "How many red fish can you find swimming in this bottle?").

On this particular day, I put our bottles in the writing center to use for word cards.

The children tipped the bottles around and observed for a bit. They then selected an item from the bottle to use for their card. I'd placed several completed example cards in the center: ocean, fish, frog, and seashell. As I said, each card had the written word on one side and a drawing on the other.

Here, a little boy has selected the seashell card to work on:





Not every student is 100% comfortable writing letters/words just yet, so one way I adapt our word cards is with alphabet stamps. I'll write out a card with the word "fish," for example, with a blank line underneath each letter. The children then match the correct stamper to each letter, filling in the blanks until they've finished the word. Sometimes I set out the full set of stamps; other times I limit the stamps available based on what's needed to complete the word card. It really depends on the student (and the day and the time and . . . so on :) ). Many students enjoy working on both types of cards (written and stamped).

One nice thing about our stampers is that they are pretty small - meaning the children have to pinch them and place them carefully, building up fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.

Finally, I'd like to point out that I never force a child to do anything s/he is adamantly opposed to or disinterested in, especially at this age. I certainly do my best to engage all of my students, and if something isn't working, I change my approach. That said, the majority of the children LOVE making word cards and approach the task enthusiastically.

No comments:

Post a Comment