Friday, June 8, 2012

Class Schedule

A fantastic organizational tool that we've utilized all year has been our picture schedule. It hangs on the far left side of our whiteboard at the front of the room. I typed out the word for each subject/activity alongside a corresponding image (using a mixture of clipart, Boardmaker icons, and actual classroom photos, based on what I thought would resonate), then cut them into strips. I laminated each one and attached a magnet to the back. 



Sorry, I know these photos aren't the best quality!

At the start of the year, the pictures helped me explain what we were doing and assisted with transitions. For example, say I was teaching on my own and it was time for snack. Attempting to gather up 23 little ones that have no idea what you're saying feels like an impossible task! It was incredibly helpful to simply pull the "Canteen" strip off the board and walk around the room (while doing the Signed English motion for "eat" and showing them how to clean up). And of course, the children loved seeing themselves and their friends in some of the photos!

Later in the year, the schedule became much more about time and the sequence of events as the children's awareness of these grew. If one of the kids asked me if it was time to go home, I could say, "Soon --  here is Bus Time, but first we have Music and Wrap Up. So first we will go to Abla Geehan, then I will read you a story, and after that it will be time for the bus." I'd show them 1, 2, and 3 with my fingers as I explained. It's amazing to see children understand all of that, especially given what things were like in September! 

I could also connect the picture schedule with our nearby wall clock. Say a student wanted to go out to play, but we had 10 more minutes of Numeracy centers -- I could reference the schedule, point to the clock, and explain that when the big hand reached the 6, it'd be time to go outside. Seemingly without fail, the asker would nod his or her head and get back on task.

Finally, I personally loved our picture schedule for my own organizational sanity! Prepping it first thing each morning allowed me to think through the day ahead, and it was nice to have an at-a-glance way to see where we were/needed to be during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment